Thursday, November 5, 2009

Flattop Mountain Dayhike - 2009/11/05

Hi All,

I'm WAY, WAY, WAY behind on this blog, and will never catch up. Who knows when I'll ever post again, but here's a short hike I went on today.

Click on the photos for an enlarged view.

That fence line marks the East boundary of my one-mile summer jogging loop. I usually do three laps, which with the jaunt from Glen Alps, makes 3.5 miles total, or thereabouts. Sure beats the sidewalk or treadmill, eh?



This is the second saddle. That's the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet in center.



Looking down into the second saddle.



Looking South toward the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet.



This gully is great fun to glissade down when the snow gets deeper and better packed. There are avalanches here, so you've got to pick your days.



Looking North from just below the summit. If it was a clear day, you'd see Mt. McKinley in the distance.



Looking North again, from just beneath the summit.



Looking South, just cresting Flattop summit on the West side.



This is the "flat top" of Flattop Mountain.
You can see how it got the name.
I love how the blown snow highlights the rocky surface.



Another view of Flattop's "flat top".



I couldn't believe there were moose tracks all the way up on the summit! There's NOTHING to eat up here except snow. It was a gorgeous day. Maybe he came up for the view?




Looking North off Flattop summit. That's Powerline Pass below.




Mt. Ptarmigan and Flaketop in the distance.




This was my favorite shot of the hike.
I love how the sky cooperated to complete the composition.








No comments:

Post a Comment